Friday, November 14, 2014

E's Bedroom - Finally the Reveal!

In approximately two weeks, we will have lived in this house and in Louisville, KY for one year!  Woohoo!  I can't believe how fast the time has gone. When we first moved into this house, one of the first rooms I was determined to work on was E's room.  For the past three years, the poor girl has not had a proper room!  When we lived in Vienna, her bedroom was a large walk-in closet (with a huge window), but still, it was a closet.

So, I set forth designing her room with gutso.  If you remember, this was the inspiration board I created for her room.


I mainly stuck to the plan, but had a departure here or there as things got underway.  Here is her room now and I am happy to say that my little E loves it (and so do I)!


The window is the first thing you see when you walk in the room and I wanted it to be the focal point.  I picked a neutral buffalo check fabric and had it made into a custom balloon shade that will grow with her as she transitions to a big girl room and so on.  I painted the walls a soft cream to complement the biscuit color in the buffalo check fabric.










I had a scalloped slipcover made for an old glider we had in a white matelasse fabric and created a cozy reading nook.

The framed watercolor above the chair is of the town my mom is from and grew up in - Trier, Germany.  The watercolor was given to us from my mother's family as a wedding present.




The book shelf is actually an Ikea Hemnes bookcase that I painted BM Prescott Green.  I LOVE this color.  Painting the bookshelf wasn't part of the original plan, but as the room progressed I felt it needed a cooler color to offset all the warm tones.  I am so happy how it turned out.


Here are some close-ups of some of the really special things on her bookcase.  





We love reading Little Bear! 

The mirror below is from Target that I whitewashed.  My blue and white lamp is from my step mother and dad given to me for my birthday which I love.  And, her monogrammed baby cup is from her grandparents.  


The dresser below is from Restoration Hardware which I am very happy with and I love how the gray tones work well with the cream walls. 


E just turned 3 and will be transitioning out of her crib soon.  This was previously Luke's crib.  Her crib is very simple nothing fancy, but I love the bolster and touches of blue.  The bunny plates above her crib are my favorite and I had them custom made from etsy. The picture below was taken at a different time so the lighting is a bit off.  The walls and fabric are much more saturated.  


Below is my husband's rocking chair when he was a little boy and I had a custom toile slip made for it. I found the hooks at an antique store and painted them BM Prescott Green.  That is Peanut sitting in the rocking chair! 


E's grandmother made her tooth fairy pillow hanging on the peg hooks.  


So, that is it!! It was a labor of true love as I guess all children's rooms are!  If you are interested in seeing this room when we bought the house, see below.

BEFORE:


Yes, those are some really purple walls!!  I hope you enjoyed my little girl's room and have a wonderful weekend!!

35 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie! I love your style and talent so this means a lot coming from you!! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic! What a perfect little girl's room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This beautiful! I love all the buffalo check, stripes, and bits of blue. And that slipcover! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I LOVE Little Bear. The scalloped slip is gorgeous - love every detail Fran!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rene! Little Bear is an all time favorite in this household!

      Delete
  5. This room is gorgeous! I love how it reads as a little girl's room but not "kiddy" and pink. So sophisticated! I just found your blog not too long ago and I love your style. You have great taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hillary for the thoughtful comment! It really made my day! I am so happy you found my blog!

      Delete
  6. I think the whole space is just beautiful. So well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! It's all so gorgeous! I love the fabric you chose for the window and the whitewashed mirror is so impressive. The plates above the crib are just the sweetest. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You never disappoint. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling room! I bet your daughter loves it! Could you share the rug source? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lesley, the rug is from PB Kids. Here is the link: http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/chenille-stripe-jute-rug/

    Thank you for your sweet comment and for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the source! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  11. Lovely! My favorite is "peanut" sitting so sweetly on that little rocker. Your little E must be delighted with her room! Love to see her closet bedroom from Vienna!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job, Sis. Your work is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job Fran. E is lucky to have such lovely sleeping quarters. The buffalo check looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fran, I can tell you poured your heart into this beautiful room. It's beautiful! I love the balloon shade and of course the reading corner too. So many special little touches that you've captured. You did such a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. E's room is so beautiful, Fran! I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fran,
    I can see why E loves her room! Such a pretty, bright, fresh and restful space. I love all the personal and meaningful things, such as the Trier watercolor, the baby cup, the tooth fairy pillow, etc. Heirlooms that I'm sure she will treasure! Love how the bookshelves turned out. I have two dark, heavy mahogany bookshelves from when we were first married that I've been thinking of painting green for the guest room, to lighten the room up. Thank you for all of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous. I came over from Catherine's blog where you were talking about using Pointing. Your daughters room is lovely, so soft but not girly - a room that will work a long while. I love every element. Well done. Are you pleased with the Pointing?

    Best, Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am very pleased with Pointing for her room, however, I recently tried Pointing for my DR and it was too 'yellow' for my liking. I think it just depends with the type of look you want for your room.

      Delete
  18. I just stumbled across your blog for the first time and love, love, love your style! This room is precious. I've been contemplating a painted IKEA Hemnes bookcase for my son's room, but am a little afraid of a DIY gone awry! What's your secret? Did you paint the bookshelf yourself, or send it out?

    Keep up the beautiful work!!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie, Thanks for the sweet and encouraging comment. The secret to painting Ikea's bookcase is using SW Adhesion Primer. In fact, now that I think of it, BM sell some too. With the adhesion primer, you do NOT have to sand the bookcase prior to painting. I did one coat of the adhesion primer, let it dry and then did two coats of the Prescott Green. It was fairly simple! Hope that helps and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Fran, thanks for the reply! Knowing how you achieved such good results ahead of time makes me more confident that I'm not going to spend a ton of money and then hate the outcome. I'm slowly getting into DIY... my mother is going to help me tackle curtain panels this weekend :) Yikes! Thanks again!

      Delete