Monday, October 11, 2010

DIY: Halloween Silhouette Plates

I like to do a DIY every holiday because it always fun when you unpack the decorations (after a full year has passed) to see what is in there.  I always catch myself saying, "Oh yeah, I forgot about that!"  
I was inspired by Danny Seo's, a green living expert, craft room as seen on Bromeliad.  It screams 'fall' and looked liked a fun way to decorate seasonally without being too garish.  I bought some cheap white plates (8.5" diameter) from Walmart.  I did go to the goodwill store first, but none of the plates had a white background that I needed.  I printed out a couple of halloween templates that inspired me and stuck them on plates (using label printer paper). 
I painted the plates with black ceramic paint.  I painted two coats (make sure you let the first coat dry completely).  After the plates were dry, I stuck them in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Let plates cool completely in oven.
 And, then I hung them in our kitchen. 
What do you think?  I personally love them and plan on using the beetle all year round.  He is my favorite.  
For the full tutorial, go here.  

17 comments:

  1. What a great technique. You could use any color or motif you wanted to coordinate with your room too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable, Fran! You could easily take this idea and modify it for any season, too. One question: are the plates dishwasher safe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley: the tutorial recommends you hand wash them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fran--you are so talented & crafty. Looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this prject! What a fantastic idea for Halloween, and other holidays/everyday uses as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE! I'm a big fan of Halloween and always enjoy a little holiday crafting....and this is definitely something you could do for quite a few holidays, just switching plates out as the seasons change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the beetle too - very clever....KG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...well done you- these are fantastic!!
    PS- thanks so much for your very kind comment on my blog- i have already added you to my blogroll and am very glad to have you in my daily reads:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really decorate for Halloween but these are stinkin cute!!!

    Luvs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are adorable!! What a fun Halloween decoration and I'm not really a fan of Halloween decor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So simple and adorable for the holidays--but you're right, also year round!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fran, I love this idea! Looks great. I want to give it a whirl now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fran, I love these with my whole heart! I like subtle holiday decor, and this is it. Thanks!

    BTW: our similarities are getting spooky! Stella & Dot too? If they are on the same Wednesday night than that really puts it over the edge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the shout out. Love the beetle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. how elegant! what a nice departure from your typical halloween paraphernalia.

    ReplyDelete